IMG_0212Jenn and Deanna had to exchange money so we headed to a local Thai bank. After spending what seemed like hours there, we hopped back on the handy-dandy and free public bus and headed towards The Grand Palace.

Grand Palace, take two.

It was actually open! Surprise surprise, it was already packed with Chinese tourists. When we first got there we entered through to the Emerald Buddha entrance. We saw all of the sights we did the day before and we thought we paid an unnecessary 500 baht (approximately $18.29 CAD). Once we followed the sheep we found a new section of the palace we hadn’t discovered before.

Well, The Grand Palace was most definitely grand. I also can’t describe the amount of tourists that went to see it.


(Ignore our outfits – we had to cover up our walking outfits. Gotta love the cheap thai pants.)


IMG_0218After touring The Grand Palace grounds and posing for photos with all of Jenn and Deanna’s fans (one of them pictured left) we decided to head to the Queen Sirikit Museum of Textiles (also in the palace grounds). I tried to enter the “Chinese tour group” line for fun and got through (Jenn and De didn’t – muahaha). When I went back through the foreigner line I got denied until I opened my mouth.

To be honest, this was one of the museums I found a little boring. The whole museum was dedicated to showcasing the Queen’s dresses. Don’t get me wrong, the handiwork was incredible, but it was nicer to be in the air-conditioning (as Jenn and De would say “bless”).

After cooling off in the museum we grabbed iced lemon teas at the museum’s cafe and sat in the shade to people watch. It’s interesting to see the kinds of things people wear in 35+ degree weather. We saw everything from denim on denim to velvet dresses. My personal favourite were the amount of high heel shoes we saw. To each their own – but how on earth is that comfortable for touring in large crowds!?

We headed towards the Chao Phraya for a 1-hour boat cruise. Last time I was in Thailand (9 years ago?), I saw a dead dog floating in the river and was instantly scarred – no dead dogs this time. I’m always amazed at the way other people in the world live.

IMG_0263The houses are literally held up by wooden posts. Some of the houses have even collapsed due to erosion. Seeing other places in the world remind me how lucky I am back in Canada (thank you mom and dad for moving there).

IMG_2935After the cruise we went back to our hostel area and got Thai massages for 300 baht and it was probably one of the funniest things i’ve experienced in my life. We entered a dark room that had 3 mattresses on the floor, 1 wall A/C unit and a TV. I thought were were in a Saw movie. My masseuse said a total of 7 words but Deanna’s and Jenn’s talked to each other the whole time and even answered their cell phones. They were obsessed with Jenn’s hair and skin and insisted I was from Japan and couldn’t possibly be Canadian. After the massage they also insisted on tips.

We headed back to Udee to grab our bags and cup noodles (yummmm) and headed by taxi to the airport. We were headed to Krabi, in Southern Thailand. Getting taxis are usually pretty easy – but mostly when we don’t need them to get to the airport. The airport process was so fast and we decided to cave 5 days in and eat McDonald’s (instant regret). I fell asleep instantly and woke up in Krabi.

When we got to Krabi we struggled to find our hostel because of translation problems and lack of actual addresses – a huge difference from the streets of Bangkok. The place was called Climb Krabi Inn but our sheet of paper said BRAND NEW DORM and the Thai couldn’t seem to get past that. We had the most difficult time finding the place because the sign was written on a chalkboard and street lights aren’t really a thing in Krabi town. Amy, the hostel owner, was from New Zealand. She moved to Krabi to rock climb, opened a hostel with her Thai boyfriend Zack and was heading back to New Zealand to visit for a couple of months. The people we met in Thailand live the most interesting lives. We went to the “lobby” where our new friend Billy Beach Blues drunkenly sang us Yellow by Coldplay.


2 thoughts on “DAY FIVE

  1. The amount of visitors you describe reminds me of the Taj Mahal…the people watching was as interesting as the monument itself! As for high heels, hahaha I totally agree – it’s bizarre what people will wear in such sweltering heat in SEA. I live in Vietnam, and people legit dress up to go outside and take photos. In the shade. Sweating. What the heck…

    • RIGHT!? I think I almost spat out my drink when I saw the velvet dress, how on earth is that comfortable in 35 degree weather.

      The shoes were a whole other story, I think there were more heels than any other kind of shoe. Ridiculous.

      I’m glad somebody finds this as weird as I do haha.

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Concerns?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s